Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Alternative Medicine

PEMFt Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy - is it snake oil? What's the real deal. Does it really regenerate nerves? Is it anti-aging? Does it relieve arthritis? Might it help damaged ear cells?

By BobbyBoomer at March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m., 58960 hits

A few months ago, we took my mother-in-law for PEMF Therapy to try to help her Parkinson's and it didn't seem to work. 3 days a week for a month. (Pulsed Magnetic Therapy - Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy)

However,

My wife and I did it too, figuring it wouldn't harm us (a ‘real’ doctor told us we had nothing to lose - it wouldn't hurt us and it might or might not help).

I noticed a huge improvement in my vision - I'm farsighted and could actually read fine print. Well the PEMF place was 5 hours away (round trip), and although the treatments weren't that expensive (he took donations), the gasoline and time consumed was too much. So after a month of it not helping my mother-in-law's Parkinson's, we quit going - it's a 5 hour round trip and that's too much.

As time went on, my vision reverted to it's pre-PEMF state (Sadly the improvement wasn't permanent).

So I started looking on the Internet for these devices, and I see price tags of $3000 or so and claims of anti-aging, nerve regeneration, arthritis relief, and so on.

Of course, I'm skeptical, especially at those price tags.

So I'm wondering, especially about the nerve regeneration process. I had ear problems, and a couple of misdiagnoses and a couple of ENT doctors before the problem was solved.

The problem that was occurring with frequency hasn't reared it's ugly head in well over a year with dust mite protection in my home and daily low dose children's Dimetapp.

Layman's description - I have an allergy to dust mites (verified by a RAST test). The dust mite protein in my system caused a severe inflammation response. This cut off the blood supply to some of the cilia nerve cells (hair cells) in my inner ear - high frequency is most affected. This makes it difficult to understand what people are saying, even with the prescribed hearing aids.

So I know, I'm desperate for a cure, even when everything on the Internet says nothing can be done yet. They are talking about 5 years or more for stem cell human trials.

So my thinking is that PEMFt obviously benefited my eyes so it does something and IF (and I know that's a big IF):

1) There is a chance it might help my ears
2) There is a chance it might do other good things for me like anti-aging
3) Prolonged treatment wouldn't harm me

I might give it a try.

Does anybody know anything about this?

If it does work, I need to know all about it. One site says low power sawtooth waves are best, another says high power sine waves are best (etc.), and each manufacturer says their system is best and the other methods don't work.

If I can't get meaningful information from someone other than the manufacturer, I'm not going to spring for $3000 worth of placebo. If all it does is improve my vision, I can get new eyeglasses for much less.

Thanks

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:47:12 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:49:35 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:50:53 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-28 10:55:10 —

Posts [ 68 ] | Last post March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m.
#61 - April 17, 2013, 9:16 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

Regarding my tinnitus, I started PEMFT in the summer of 2011 and started doing it in April 2012 - about a year ago.. With the first unit 8 minutes at the back of the skull and 16 minutes one each ear.

As I reported in June of 2012, the book that came with the first device says it works in only 30-40% of the tinnitus cases they tried in Germany. (Google google “Principles-Magnetic-Therapy-ElectroMeds-1.pdf” for the book, it's on-line in various sites)

It wasn't until after 9 months of daily application (December 2012) that I began to notice any changes in my tinnitus, which I reported in this thread. And I still wasn't sure, thinking it might just be a fluke, since my tinnitus has always been variable.

A month later I reported the jury is still out on my ears. Then I had some off and on days. At the end of February I noticed some improvement in my hearing - and since the tinnitus is caused by the lack of high frequency hearing, perhaps in time the tinnitus will go away. The tinnitus is still here but not as severe as it was before. I have many more ‘good days’ and the ‘bad days’ aren't nearly as severe as they used to be. No, it's not an instant cure, but then for tinnitus there is no instant cure, or no other cure at all.

By March I noticed that I could hear some high frequency things that I could not hear before - the percussion instruments and the warbler. That's 11 months after starting daily therapy (wow! have I been updating this thread that long?).

And in April 2013 I actually talked on the phone without my hearing aids. It took a year to get here, but all the doctors and everything except PEMFT that I've investigated on the net indicated that the hearing damage was permanent and cannot be cured. Well, at least in my case, they are all wrong.

Yesterday while gigging, I not only heard both the high and low agogo bells, but I could hear the full tone of the high bell. The ears are finally waking up.

As far as the rest is concerned:

The arthritis, bursitis and heel spurs are gone, and I've even introduced some red meat fat and small amounts of tomato sauce again - these used to be inflammation triggers. I'm not going to overdo it though.

Eyesight has improved more. I have 20-or-so year old glasses that I use when mowing the lawn, so I don't mess up my regular lenses. I can now read bold print with them, and I couldn't read headline type with them last year. With my current prescription I can read the smallest type that is meant to be read.

Senior moments are better too, I hardly ever go searching for a noun and my memory of people's names that I haven't encountered in years is much easier instead of impossible.

As far as my mother-in-law's Parkinson's is concerned, it seems to have helped her general disposition, the frozen face is gone, the eyes are alive and she initiates conversation much more often, but it hasn't helped her legs much, and her variable blood pressure (from the medication) at all. But she hasn't had it but a couple of months now, we're of course hopeful, as PD is another ‘incurable’ disease.

As I am not a doctor, I can't say if it will work for everybody nor do I want to even pretend to give medical advice.

But I do know that (1) everything I read says that PEMFT works gradually and (2) after a year of daily therapy I'm doing what USA medicine told me is impossible, I'm definitely getting my high frequency hearing back, and with the high frequency hearing restoration, the tinnitus is not gone yet, but diminishing.

Bobby

#62 - April 26, 2013, 6:30 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Here is a HUGE 120mb .pdf scan of a book that can serve as a user's manual for PEMFt users. It explains how to apply the PEMFt coil(s) for a number of different diseases/dysfunctions.

The instructions pertain to a device no longer being produced, but you can easily adapt it to your situation. There are no ads on this page, and the scan is available in many places on the web. Here is one:

www.pemft.info/pdf/practice_of_magnetic_field_therapy.pdf

It also has the results of many European studies for different conditions along with the percentages of success/failure for each disease. However it was published in 2000 and a lot has changed since then.

If you have a slow-ish connection, be sure to allow time to appear.

If your good with the search function of the US National Institute of Health, Library of Congress site, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed you can glean a lot of peer-reviewed scientific abstracts on the subject of PEMFt. Use a variety of search terms as different terms tend to bring up different studies.

Bobby

— Last Edited by Greentea at 2013-08-19 16:01:06 —

#63 - Aug. 4, 2013, 6:27 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Been a while - time for an update.

Tinnitus has been very minimized this summer. Many more almost quiet days (just light hissing), and the noisy days only moderately noisy. I haven't had one of those terrible 2 tone, pulsing days in over a year now. A definite improvement. Of course it's not quick enough, but since nothing else seems to work, slow but sure is welcome.

I still haven't heard any crickets in our back yard, but my wife (who has perfect hearing) hasn't heard any either, so perhaps the mosquito spray truck or something else has killed them around here. (We don't use insecticide in our yard.)

My arthritis symptoms are completely gone, my wife's minimized. This is amazing.

Heel spur lingering discomfort gone most of the time. On those infrequent times when I feel a little discomfort, I immediately put the coil under the heel for about 15 minutes a day, and in a couple of days it's forgotten about again.

Eyesight still better, can still read fine print. I have a 20 year old pair of glasses I use when I mow the lawn (to keep from scratching my good glasses). They have big aviator lenses so they provide better protection than more recent pairs. I haven't been able to read even headlines with them for over 10 years. I can now read newspaper sized type with them in good light.

Mother-in-law's Parkinson's improved quite a bit, her face is alive again, and her personality bright again, but it doesn't seem to have helped her balance a noticeable amount. Her walking is weak, but then she doesn't do the recommended exercises either. Still the improvement she has had is worth it.

None of us have experienced any negative effects that we know of. My doc and blood tests still say I'm healthy.

Bobby

#64 - Aug. 19, 2013, 3:07 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

GREAT NEWS!

I've heard crickets two nights in a row. Not very loud, and mostly in my right ear (with the hearing aid in) - but I heard them. First time in years!!!

Just when I was starting to think my hearing improvement was stalled, (nothing new since the agogo bell), I got this gift.

It's been a year and four months since I started doing this, and worth it for that.

It happened so gradually that from day to day I never noticed any improvement, and from time to time doubted that it was doing anything for my ears - although I would be happy just for the arthritis cure and the better eyesight. The tinnitus isn't completely gone, but diminished, more good days, fewer bad days and the bad days aren't nearly as bad. I'd be happy with that. But the main reason I tried this was on the long shot that it would improve my hearing. So of course this is what I'm yearning for the most.

The agogo bell was a threshold that gave me hope, but that seemed to be it for a while. Nothing new that I couldn't hear before. But now – another milestone – crickets! I LOVE those little insects this week.

Bob

#65 - Dec. 22, 2013, 5:02 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

OK, I haven't updated this thread in a while and I have a reason to do so now.

I had a hearing test and the test showed no noticeable improvement in my hearing. I suppose the sounds I can hear now that I couldn't before are only due to the lessening of the tinnitus. But that's subjective.

My tinnitus is definitely much, much better, although it hasn't been completely cured. I do have many more quiet days and I haven't had the extra loud 2-tone day in probably over a year. I used to get these just about every time it was overcast all day. Most of the time the tinnitus is at a minimum, say 2 on a 1-10 scale, were it used to be a 6. I have no more 10s and probably the highest about a 7 - and that's now rare. The numbers are subjective and I only use them to illustrate.

So if that's it, I'm still happy with the results.

Plus I've got these other bonuses:

1) Joint pain is completely gone. Every once in a while if I stress a joint I will get enough discomfort to remind me that it used to hurt, but I back off and it's fine again

2) Better vision. Being able to read tiny print again is amazing.

These two and the reduced tinnitus are definite improvements because they are obvious and measurable.

The clearer mind could just be wishful thinking like the better hearing was. There is no way to compare or measure. But I do feel I have many fewer ‘senior moments’.

To be perfectly frank, nobody told me the gizmo would improve my hearing, they just said they could revive nerves that weren't completely dead, and I tried it because nobody else is offering anything (come-on stem cell people and Hearing Restoration Project).

The tinnitus improvement was only in the majority of cases with long term use, and I'm lucky enough to be in that category.

So the vastly reduced tinnitus, complete joint comfort, and better vision are definitely worth ten times the price I paid for the gizmo. And the fact that I no longer buy SAMe, DSMO and the others have more than paid for it.

I'm still extremely happy with the results. Thanks to all who encouraged me to try it.

Bobby

#66 - March 25, 2014, 4:23 a.m.

Hi

I've used the PEMF device - Earthpulse Sleep on Command for 2 years now. I am 31 and work too many hours on the desk. I was suffering from back aches and sore wrists.

The earthpulse fixed that in days, the pains never came back even though i stopped using the device for months.

I gave the device to my mom and she uses it now as she needs it more being in early stages of arthritis development. She reported immediate pain relief and has stopped

taking her pain medication from 3 weeks of usage.

I would recommend going for a low power device like earthpulse as it doesnt directly attack the symptoms but instead focusses on synchronizing your brain and bodies

functions to become more optimum and utilise more oxygen for cellular respiration. This is more effective than bombaring specific body parts for quicker healing.

Earthpulse also comes with an attachment that makes it usable for targetting the field on a specific part too. All in all a big win for the mathews!

Back on the topic, i'm sure it will help parkinsons patients too! Check video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nUoo5FOC3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqExvp-yLA

#67 - March 25, 2014, 10:26 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

My mother-in-law has Parkinson's, and although it isn't a cure, it does help a lot. If she doesn't sleep with it for a day or two, it's obvious in her face.

My arthritis is completely gone, my wife's arthritis is completely gone, my bursitis is completely gone, and we both got the bonus of better eyesight.

Although it didn't make my hearing better (according to the audiologist's tests) it did reduce my tinnitus.

I'm extremely happy with the results.

You can even get a 90 day risk free trial by clicking this link plus if it still works like it did when I bought mine, if you fill out your progress forms for that 90 day period, you will get your $50 FedEx shipping charges reimbursed.

That's how I got mine, figuring I had nothing to lose, and within a few weeks I knew there was no way they were going to get the unit back.

Bobby

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2014-03-25 10:27:46 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2014-03-25 10:28:28 —

#68 - March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I read somewhere that using PEMF to treat tinnitus takes a little more time. Somebody had reproted that only after 1 year did his tinnitus reduce significantly to even notice. But even if it takes 3 years to get those golden ears, i would do it.