Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Alternative Medicine

PEMFt Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy - is it snake oil? What's the real deal. Does it really regenerate nerves? Is it anti-aging? Does it relieve arthritis? Might it help damaged ear cells?

By BobbyBoomer at March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m., 58940 hits

A few months ago, we took my mother-in-law for PEMF Therapy to try to help her Parkinson's and it didn't seem to work. 3 days a week for a month. (Pulsed Magnetic Therapy - Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy)

However,

My wife and I did it too, figuring it wouldn't harm us (a ‘real’ doctor told us we had nothing to lose - it wouldn't hurt us and it might or might not help).

I noticed a huge improvement in my vision - I'm farsighted and could actually read fine print. Well the PEMF place was 5 hours away (round trip), and although the treatments weren't that expensive (he took donations), the gasoline and time consumed was too much. So after a month of it not helping my mother-in-law's Parkinson's, we quit going - it's a 5 hour round trip and that's too much.

As time went on, my vision reverted to it's pre-PEMF state (Sadly the improvement wasn't permanent).

So I started looking on the Internet for these devices, and I see price tags of $3000 or so and claims of anti-aging, nerve regeneration, arthritis relief, and so on.

Of course, I'm skeptical, especially at those price tags.

So I'm wondering, especially about the nerve regeneration process. I had ear problems, and a couple of misdiagnoses and a couple of ENT doctors before the problem was solved.

The problem that was occurring with frequency hasn't reared it's ugly head in well over a year with dust mite protection in my home and daily low dose children's Dimetapp.

Layman's description - I have an allergy to dust mites (verified by a RAST test). The dust mite protein in my system caused a severe inflammation response. This cut off the blood supply to some of the cilia nerve cells (hair cells) in my inner ear - high frequency is most affected. This makes it difficult to understand what people are saying, even with the prescribed hearing aids.

So I know, I'm desperate for a cure, even when everything on the Internet says nothing can be done yet. They are talking about 5 years or more for stem cell human trials.

So my thinking is that PEMFt obviously benefited my eyes so it does something and IF (and I know that's a big IF):

1) There is a chance it might help my ears
2) There is a chance it might do other good things for me like anti-aging
3) Prolonged treatment wouldn't harm me

I might give it a try.

Does anybody know anything about this?

If it does work, I need to know all about it. One site says low power sawtooth waves are best, another says high power sine waves are best (etc.), and each manufacturer says their system is best and the other methods don't work.

If I can't get meaningful information from someone other than the manufacturer, I'm not going to spring for $3000 worth of placebo. If all it does is improve my vision, I can get new eyeglasses for much less.

Thanks

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:47:12 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:49:35 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:50:53 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-28 10:55:10 —

Posts [ 68 ] | Last post March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m.
#41 - Jan. 5, 2013, 9:52 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

The SAMe worked the best for me, but it was expensive, and certain brands didn't work as well as others.

I no longer need nor take any of the joint supplements with the exception of Curcumin. I keep taking that because of the other health benefits it is supposed to offer (we never really know who to believe, do we?).

My joints are better with PEMF than they were with the supplements. It's really amazing.

The new unit is supposed to be here next week. It's many times more powerful than the old one, at a fraction of the price, and if it works, PLUS if it is well constructed, I'll probably become an affiliate and re-sell it.

I was going to re-sell the first one I tried, not so much to make the money, as I don't think I can sell enough to make a living, but to share the therapy. But when it broke in 2 months and it took reversing the charges on the credit card to get it fixed, I would not be associated with that. I've had the iMRS eight months now and it has broken 5 times. Getting it fixed twice was like pulling teeth, and the other 3 times it went smoothly.

The new unit seems to be more basically engineered (fewer parts to break) so it should be more dependable. And it's actually affordable Time will tell. I wish I knew about this one before buying the iMRS.

I'll keep everyone informed.

Bobby

#42 - Jan. 6, 2013, 2:14 a.m.
DeanaMaye

Boy, tell me about the expense of all the supplements!! I sure hope this machine works well for you because I can't wait to get one. In the long run it should be much cheaper than supplements over and over. Z, Good luck on your medical problems! DeanaMaye

#43 - Jan. 6, 2013, 10:28 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

Thanks DeanaMaye,

I'm no longer buying SAMe, Glucosamine Suflate, Chondroitin Sulfate and Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). Plus I feel better than I did when I was taking these supplements.

A brand of SAMe that actually works can cost up to $1.50 per pill, and I was taking 2 or 3 per day. That means with the cost of the SAMe alone, the $600 machine should pay for itself in less than 5 months. And that's not counting the other pills I'm no longer taking.

The new unit is due to arrive on Tuesday. I'll give reports after I've given it a chance to work or not work and to see how reliable it is.

Right now, although it does work, I cannot recommend the iMRS unit because it's shoddily constructed and getting it fixed can be a problem.

Hopefully this new company is doing it right. I'll let you know.

Bobby

#44 - Jan. 14, 2013, 12:07 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Update on the new, $600 unit.

This one is over 40 times more powerful than the old unit I tried. And at $600 vs $4,000 it's about 15% of the cost (check my math).

First impression:

It seems to work much better than the old one. My eyesight jumped another noticeable notch better on the first day. I am also experiencing more energy. Joints are still no longer hurting so I can't comment on that, and tinnitus is about the same as it was last month.

Another advantage is that you can run this one under your mattress all night. There are even modes to improve your sleep, but since I don't have a problem with sleep, I can't comment on that.

I've written dozens of e-mail letters to the affiliate who sold it to me and to the owner of the company, and they have responded quickly, friendly and professionally (not like that other company that was rude and confrontational).

Then I bought my first unit, and as often happens, the first unit was a learning experience (It's going up on eBay soon).

Now, 8 months later I found a much better unit at a fraction of the price. It's a PEMF device disguised as a sleep machine (thanks to the FDA not approving PEMF therapy).

So to summarize:

• Bursitis in my hip is gone - considering that at one time I needed a ‘blue ice’ back behind my hip to drive a car, that's remarkable
  • Arthritis in hands are gone (and I'm saving hundreds of dollars in supplements no longer needing to manage the pain I used to have)
  • Heel spur pain is gone (Plantar fasciitis)
  • Mind is clearer and the ability to recall names and other nouns that would occasionally give me ‘senior moments’ is much better
  • Minor morning small-of-the-back pain is gone
  • Greatly improved eyesight
  • The jury is still out on the ears. I seem to have fewer bad days and more good days in regards to the tinnitus, but I don't know if my hearing is improving or not.
Another benefit of this new unit is that since I sleep with it under the mattress, it saves me time during the day. I only do one ‘head session’ in the morning and skip the evening one.

I'll keep you posted

Bob

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2013-01-23 19:23:59 —

#45 - Jan. 20, 2013, 9:58 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

For the past 3 days, my tinnitus is almost gone. A slight hiss that is so quiet, I can hardly hear it. I hope this keeps up. If so, it's a miracle. I've got my fingers crossed.

The NASA study stated that PEMFt can regrow stem cells, and I'm hoping that is what is happening in my ears. The minimal tinnitus could be a sign that the hearing is coming back.

Wish me luck!

Bobby

#46 - Jan. 21, 2013, 12:10 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Shouldn't have said anything. While for the past few days the tinnitus was about 1 on a scale of one to 10, today it's about a 3. But all in all it's still much better than it was.

But I did notice today that my mouse “trigger finger” is no longer clicking, and I don't remember the last time it did. Like the hiccoughs, I didn't notice it stopping.

I'll keep posting the progress and/or lack of it as long as anybody is interested.

#47 - Jan. 23, 2013, 7:26 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

I bought another for my mother-in-law. She is suffering from Parkinson's Disease, and I've read a lot of peer-reviewed reports that are very encouraging. It seems to help in the majority of cases, but not all of them. I'll keep you posted.

#48 - Jan. 30, 2013, 8:05 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

I'm a musician, and my mother-in-law comes to see us perform every Tuesday afternoon. After sleeping with the new device for 2 nights, instead of us seeing her “Frozen Parkinson's Face” in the audience, her eyes were alive, she was smiling, and instead of just responding, she was initiating conversation with the other regulars. She also remarked that she is walking better and can walk farther without having to sit to avoid a fall.

After the gig, we were packing up our gear, and another of the regulars came up to my wife and said, “Your mother sure is having a good day today!” So it wasn't just wishful thinking on our behalf. Even people that didn't know we were doing something new noticed the difference in after only 2 days. We are not going to return her unit - it's a keeper.

Back to my experience…

I have much more energy, and am even walking faster (my wife noticed that), thinking faster, and am absolutely 100% pain-free for the first time in decades. Tinnitus is still variable, but instead of varying from 1 to 10 on my personal scale, it's only varying from about 1 to 5, and with more almost quiet days and fewer noisier days.

My wife's arthritis was doing better with the old $4000 machine, but she had two stubborn fingers that refused to respond. Now with the $600 machine (it's field strength is 100 time stronger) she is experiencing much less pain on the stubborn ones. She takes a dance class, and is learning the steps much quicker than she used to, and she is thinking clearer and quicker too.

I'm creating a web page where I'm putting all the information I can find about PEMFT in one place. I'm going through my 100+ bookmarks, doing my best to weed out the hype from the science, and putting them all in one place. I'm also doing a comparison chart for the major home PEMFT devices. I'll be adding more as I get the time (I own two businesses and I'm doing this when I get a few spare moments).

This way you can read the science and decide for yourself if it is something you want to try or not. Since I'm not a doctor, I'm not qualified to make that decision for you. So I'll be putting everything I can find that seems to be peer-reviewed solid science, whether it is positive or negative on the site (I haven't found any negative yet) and you can make your own decision.

The site is advertiser supported, and therefore free to the public. The unit I'm using is the “Editor's Pick” in the “Device Comparisons” page and the very top ad on the “Where To Buy” page. It comes with a 90 risk-free trial. If in 90 days you don't feel better, you can return it for a full refund - in other words, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Full disclosure: If you buy using the link on either the above pages, I make a few dollars. Not enough to make a living at (but I have two other businesses), but enough to keep the website running and free to the public. So if you decide to try it, please use the link from my new web page http://www.pemft.info

I like writing HTML code and this is my third website, and I'm enjoying putting the information I gleaned from hundreds of websites all in one place. It should save others from the extensive googling I did.

I have additional plans for the site, but they will come as I get the time.

And of course, I'll keep you informed here of our progress.

Bob

#49 - Feb. 1, 2013, 12:19 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

My mother-in-law comes out to see us perform every Tuesday afternoon. We are used to seeing her sitting at a table in the audience with all the regulars. She sits there with the Parkinson's Frozen Face, eyes straight ahead, mouth half open, and never initiates conversation but only responds to others.

Last Tuesday, after only 2 nights of sleeping with this new PEMFT device, she was smiling, her eyes alive and darting back and forth, and she was initiating conversation. When we were done and packing up our gear, one of the other regulars said that she was sure having a good day - so even the people who did not know she was using anything new noticed!!!

She also said that she is walking better. A few days later, she says she loves it.

She has a 90 day risk-free trial, and already she says it isn't going back.

———
From The U.S. Library Of Medicine, National Institute of Health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8496242?dopt=Abstract

Beneficial effects of electromagnetic fields.

Abstract

Selective control of cell function by applying specifically configured, weak, time-varying magnetic fields has added a new, exciting dimension to biology and medicine. Field parameters for therapeutic, pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMFs) were designed to induce voltages similar to those produced, normally, during dynamic mechanical deformation of connective tissues. As a result, a wide variety of challenging musculoskeletal disorders have been treated successfully over the past two decades. More than a quarter million patients with chronically ununited fractures have benefitted, worldwide, from this surgically non-invasive method, without risk, discomfort, or the high costs of operative repair. Many of the athermal bioresponses, at the cellular and subcellular levels, have been identified and found appropriate to correct or modify the pathologic processes for which PEMFs have been used. Not only is efficacy supported by these basic studies but by a number of double-blind trials. As understanding of mechanisms expands, specific requirements for field energetics are being defined and the range of treatable ills broadened. These include nerve regeneration, wound healing, graft behavior, diabetes, and myocardial and cerebral ischemia (heart attack and stroke), among other conditions. Preliminary data even suggest possible benefits in controlling malignancy.

——–

The more I learn about this, the more I love it. It's the first thing I've found that seems too good to be true and actually is too good to be true!!!

Bob

#50 - Feb. 17, 2013, 5:27 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

New update:

1) My hearing seems to be getting better. I hear high instruments on familiar recordings that I haven't heard in years like the crisp attack of the ride cymbal, the click of the clave in Latin American music, and the high frequency edge on other instruments. This improvement in less than a month with the new, more powerful device. Bird songs like those of the Cardinal also have more ‘bite’ to them and my spouse noticed that I'm asking “What?” less often. I even watched a rented old Lucille Ball movie without captions and understood almost every word. Also, in my electronic drum set, I couldn't hear the high agogo bell at all last month, only a click when I hit the trigger. Now I can hear the tone of the bell, it's not as loud as the low agogo bell, but I haven't heard the tone of this bell in years. I'm cautiously optimistic about having my hearing restored with this therapy. The NASA and other studies say 9.5Hz (cycles per second) square wave can repair nerve damage and grow stem cells.

2) Mother-in-law's Parkinson's disease symptom improvement has become noticeable to all, even those who didn't know she was sleeping with the new PEMFT machine (including her sisters and close friends). She no longer has the pained frozen face, instead it is animated again, and she is walking much, much better and doesn't even use her walker all the time. This is nothing short of a miracle.

If you know someone with arthritis or Parkinson's, get them to try it. If you get it from pemft.info there is a 90 day risk free trial on the top advertisement on the “where to buy” page. If they don't feel better in 90 days, they can get their money back.

Bobby