Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Alternative Medicine

PEMFt Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy - is it snake oil? What's the real deal. Does it really regenerate nerves? Is it anti-aging? Does it relieve arthritis? Might it help damaged ear cells?

By BobbyBoomer at March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m., 58939 hits

A few months ago, we took my mother-in-law for PEMF Therapy to try to help her Parkinson's and it didn't seem to work. 3 days a week for a month. (Pulsed Magnetic Therapy - Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy)

However,

My wife and I did it too, figuring it wouldn't harm us (a ‘real’ doctor told us we had nothing to lose - it wouldn't hurt us and it might or might not help).

I noticed a huge improvement in my vision - I'm farsighted and could actually read fine print. Well the PEMF place was 5 hours away (round trip), and although the treatments weren't that expensive (he took donations), the gasoline and time consumed was too much. So after a month of it not helping my mother-in-law's Parkinson's, we quit going - it's a 5 hour round trip and that's too much.

As time went on, my vision reverted to it's pre-PEMF state (Sadly the improvement wasn't permanent).

So I started looking on the Internet for these devices, and I see price tags of $3000 or so and claims of anti-aging, nerve regeneration, arthritis relief, and so on.

Of course, I'm skeptical, especially at those price tags.

So I'm wondering, especially about the nerve regeneration process. I had ear problems, and a couple of misdiagnoses and a couple of ENT doctors before the problem was solved.

The problem that was occurring with frequency hasn't reared it's ugly head in well over a year with dust mite protection in my home and daily low dose children's Dimetapp.

Layman's description - I have an allergy to dust mites (verified by a RAST test). The dust mite protein in my system caused a severe inflammation response. This cut off the blood supply to some of the cilia nerve cells (hair cells) in my inner ear - high frequency is most affected. This makes it difficult to understand what people are saying, even with the prescribed hearing aids.

So I know, I'm desperate for a cure, even when everything on the Internet says nothing can be done yet. They are talking about 5 years or more for stem cell human trials.

So my thinking is that PEMFt obviously benefited my eyes so it does something and IF (and I know that's a big IF):

1) There is a chance it might help my ears
2) There is a chance it might do other good things for me like anti-aging
3) Prolonged treatment wouldn't harm me

I might give it a try.

Does anybody know anything about this?

If it does work, I need to know all about it. One site says low power sawtooth waves are best, another says high power sine waves are best (etc.), and each manufacturer says their system is best and the other methods don't work.

If I can't get meaningful information from someone other than the manufacturer, I'm not going to spring for $3000 worth of placebo. If all it does is improve my vision, I can get new eyeglasses for much less.

Thanks

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:47:12 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:49:35 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:50:53 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-28 10:55:10 —

Posts [ 68 ] | Last post March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m.
#21 - May 26, 2012, 11:16 a.m.

Thanks again for the update; I appreciate it.

At this rate, I may also try it.

Z

#22 - June 4, 2012, 9:38 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Zarathrustra;98830:

Thanks again for the update; I appreciate it.

At this rate, I may also try it.

Z

Keep in mind we also eat the “Arthritis/Bursitis” diet - low glycemic foods, no organ meats, no egg yolks, no red meat fat (lean is OK), and especially in my wife's case, no nightshades (some people are more sensitive to nightshades than others).

Still we have had nagging arthritis, my wife's worse than mine. We take curcumin, and an anti-arthritis supplement. (Life Extension's Arthromax Advanced with UC-II & ApresFlex)

It's been almost two months since the PEMFt machine was delivered.
  • Our eyesight continues to improve. I'm thinking about digging out an old pair of eyeglasses - if I find one I'll let you know
  • The pain in my hands is gone, and I'm working on a software project (programming) that is requiring me to type for 10 or so hours per day
  • My wife's hands are not completely pain free, but doing much better - we are thinking about not replacing the anti-arthritis supplement when it runs out in a couple of months
  • Heel spur residue is still there, but no longer as pain, just a mild irritant (if I walk barefoot for a while, it lets me know it's there in shoes it's fine)
  • I've got quiet tinnitus again, but this has always been variable and especially quiet in the early summer, so I can't attribute it to the PEMFt machine. If my ears are improving, it's too gradual for me to tell so the jury is still out on that one

So am I happy I spent more than I can afford on this machine? In a word, “yes”.

My aging eyes have been slowly degrading. Each time I go to the optometrist, my prescription gets a little stronger. It feels great to reverse that trend. And the pain free hands without extra pain relievers and other pills (which can come with a side-effect cost) is great. For years I've been taking various supplements and rubbing DMSO on the smallest joint of the little finger on my left hand. Nothing has worked on that one. It hurt when I typed, it hurt when I played guitar, it even hurt when I played a G# on my tenor saxophone. Well, it doesn't hurt at all when doing any of these things.

I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to tell if it would regenerate the nerves in my ears for at least six months, so I'll keep at it and hope for the best. I also read where if the nerve cells were completely dead, it might not regenerate. But since I can still hear high frequencies (but at a greatly reduced volume) I'm hopeful.

I don't sell these things, but if my ears improve, I believe I'll start ;-)

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-06-04 21:50:12 —

#23 - June 4, 2012, 9:38 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Double post, probably due to a double-click so please ignore this one and read the one above - I can't see how to delete one of them.

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-06-04 21:45:04 —

#24 - June 5, 2012, 6:17 a.m.

Thanks Bobby for the continuing reports.

Arthritis ins't my problem - tinnitus is. And my wife's eyes (mine's fine - even getting a bit better).

My two big problems are cancer and high blood pressure. I think pEMF may help the first, not sure about the blood pressure.

Best wishes, Ian

#25 - June 7, 2012, 1:32 p.m.
holliday

I'm not sure if all Certified Personal Trainers recommend PEMFt but mine has (and as a trainer I do as well).

I wouldn't consider the process snake oil at all.

#26 - June 7, 2012, 8:20 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Zarathrustra, the big book that came with the machine says they had 30-40% good to very good results with tinnitus. The book was written in Germany and translated to US English.

My tinnitus is currently very quiet, just a little hiss. But as I posted earlier, it has always been variable, and especially but not exclusively in the early summer it gets bouts of quietness. On very cloudy days, it is often very loud, but not always. We haven't seen the sun in 3 days and it's still quiet.

But I can't say it's definitely from the PEMFt machine.

I never could figure this one out. I looked at barometer, humidity, and even bought a full spectrum light bulb in case it was the long days.

google “Principles-Magnetic-Therapy-ElectroMeds-1.pdf” and you can download it yourself. A number of different sites host it - I don't remember which one I used. I saved it but a tree-ware version also came with the device.

And Remi, thanks for the vote of confidence. Which unit do you use? Other than joint pain, what results have you seen?

I decided it wasn't snake oil when I plunked down the money for it.

Bobby

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-06-07 20:21:12 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-09-11 21:47:52 —

#27 - Sept. 11, 2012, 9:56 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

It's been a few months now so time for an update.

Again, if it is improving the hearing, it is too gradual to tell. I still haven't gotten another hearing test - I'll give it a couple more months.

There are times when I think it's getting better, and times when I think it isn't. But since it has always been a bit variable (air pressure? humidity?) I figure a longer wait before another audiogram would give better results. That way if the trend is better the results would be more pronounced.

The tinnitus hasn't changed noticeably. It comes and goes like it always did and it's impossible to measure at home so it's undetermined.

Plantar fasciitis seems completely healed.

Arthritis in left hand completely gone, and in the right the index (mouse) finger still clicks when I'm doing a lot of work at the computer, but it doesn't hurt any more.

Brain is definitely sharper, and so is my eyesight. I can read the serial number on my hearing aids (with my glasses on). Before the PEMF I couldn't read them with my glasses and a magnifying glass unless I held them directly under a lamp.

My DW's spider veins are fading (unexpectedly)

Note: I've removed the name of the device I bought because of some issues with the company who makes and guarantees them.

#28 - Sept. 12, 2012, 9:05 a.m.

Thanks BobbyBoomer for keeping me informed.

Much appreciated.

Z

#29 - Dec. 24, 2012, 10:37 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Time for another update.

Still have

• much better eyesight
  • fewer “senior moments”
  • pain in little finger gone except for when I re-injured it, but heal time is quite rapid
  • bursitis in hip is all better
  • plantar fasciitis is without pain, if I stand for 4 hours or so I can feel a little sensation but that's it.
  • and now for the newest delight: winter is usually the worst time for my tinnitus. My tinnitus has always been variable, but always better in summer and worse in winter. This winter I feel strongly that I am having many fewer severe days and many more mild days.

I've also been contacted by a company that sells square wave devices for around $600 that are many times stronger than the one I bought at $4000 (I wish I knew about them when I bought this one). If I get one, I'll let you know how it does.

Bobby

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-12-24 22:39:53 —

#30 - Dec. 28, 2012, 4:14 p.m.
DeanaMaye

Hi, I have been reading your posts and am very interested in the info. Don't go away. Keep doing it. For $600 or less I could probably handle getting one. My vision is waning so I thought it might help. Also, I have several close relatives with Alzheimer's and I worry about it myself: mother, her mother, her sister, my sister and 3 aunts and 1 uncle on my father's side. Anyway, I am going to keep up with you and maybe give it a shot at some point.