Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Alternative Medicine

PEMFt Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy - is it snake oil? What's the real deal. Does it really regenerate nerves? Is it anti-aging? Does it relieve arthritis? Might it help damaged ear cells?

By BobbyBoomer at March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m., 58961 hits

A few months ago, we took my mother-in-law for PEMF Therapy to try to help her Parkinson's and it didn't seem to work. 3 days a week for a month. (Pulsed Magnetic Therapy - Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy)

However,

My wife and I did it too, figuring it wouldn't harm us (a ‘real’ doctor told us we had nothing to lose - it wouldn't hurt us and it might or might not help).

I noticed a huge improvement in my vision - I'm farsighted and could actually read fine print. Well the PEMF place was 5 hours away (round trip), and although the treatments weren't that expensive (he took donations), the gasoline and time consumed was too much. So after a month of it not helping my mother-in-law's Parkinson's, we quit going - it's a 5 hour round trip and that's too much.

As time went on, my vision reverted to it's pre-PEMF state (Sadly the improvement wasn't permanent).

So I started looking on the Internet for these devices, and I see price tags of $3000 or so and claims of anti-aging, nerve regeneration, arthritis relief, and so on.

Of course, I'm skeptical, especially at those price tags.

So I'm wondering, especially about the nerve regeneration process. I had ear problems, and a couple of misdiagnoses and a couple of ENT doctors before the problem was solved.

The problem that was occurring with frequency hasn't reared it's ugly head in well over a year with dust mite protection in my home and daily low dose children's Dimetapp.

Layman's description - I have an allergy to dust mites (verified by a RAST test). The dust mite protein in my system caused a severe inflammation response. This cut off the blood supply to some of the cilia nerve cells (hair cells) in my inner ear - high frequency is most affected. This makes it difficult to understand what people are saying, even with the prescribed hearing aids.

So I know, I'm desperate for a cure, even when everything on the Internet says nothing can be done yet. They are talking about 5 years or more for stem cell human trials.

So my thinking is that PEMFt obviously benefited my eyes so it does something and IF (and I know that's a big IF):

1) There is a chance it might help my ears
2) There is a chance it might do other good things for me like anti-aging
3) Prolonged treatment wouldn't harm me

I might give it a try.

Does anybody know anything about this?

If it does work, I need to know all about it. One site says low power sawtooth waves are best, another says high power sine waves are best (etc.), and each manufacturer says their system is best and the other methods don't work.

If I can't get meaningful information from someone other than the manufacturer, I'm not going to spring for $3000 worth of placebo. If all it does is improve my vision, I can get new eyeglasses for much less.

Thanks

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:47:12 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:49:35 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-26 19:50:53 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2012-01-28 10:55:10 —

Posts [ 68 ] | Last post March 26, 2014, 1:02 a.m.
#51 - Feb. 28, 2013, 9:31 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

Another update.

Mother-in-law is doing great. She can walk much further, her voice is stronger, and she is more in touch with the world. Even people who don't know she is using “the gizmo” notice it.

With me, I think my ears are finally getting better. I'm hearing some ‘crispness’ in normal sounds. My electronic drum machine has a pair of agogo bells. I could never hear the high tone, just the clunk of the attack. I can now hear the high tone. It isn't as loud as the low agogo bell, but I can hear it. I'm excited about this. The new ‘gizmo’ seems to be working (it's much stronger than the old one).

There are thousands of abstracts summarized in the National Institute of Health from worldwide peer-reviewed scientific papers - many of them the results of double-blind tests. I've read perhaps 50 of them. All the ones that used low frequency electromagnetic pulses that I've read so far have had positive outcomes.

If this thing continues to restore my hearing, I'll be the happiest person in the world!!!

#52 - Feb. 28, 2013, 11:55 a.m.
NurseVickie

Hi Bob! Thank you so much for continuing to post your experience with PEMF! I will be sending an article to your email written by a physician that strongly supports PEMF (which I think I promised to you last year but it just came out last month!) Anyway, I will be contacting you for more specific information on the unit you use and distribute. I will be purchasing a unit specifically for my husband's eyes but there are so many more uses I'm sure it will come in quite handy for a number of other issues as well. Again, thank you so much for sharing your experience!

#53 - March 1, 2013, 6:45 p.m.
DeanaMaye

Hi Bobby, Many thanks for keeping us up to date with all the info on the “gizmo”. I think I am ready to buy one. Can you give me the info I need to do that? Will I also get a 90 day deal? I hope your hearing continues to improve. I am anxious to see what it can do for my eyes and joints. DeanaMaye

#54 - March 1, 2013, 7:21 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

Dear NurseVickie,

Thanks for the article, and for your help when I was just questioning this type of therapy. With the help of generous people like you I've gone from a hopeful skeptic to an enthusiast of this therapy. And I'm so happy it's doing so much for my health.

Dear DeanaMaye, you can get one
here

Using the above link will give you the 90 day free trial. If it doesn't work for you in 90 days, send it back and get your money back. Note: there are 2 models, a $300 and a $600 one. Get the $600 model. The $300 model is just a sleep aid, the $600 one adds the powerful PEMFT waves.

For the same deal you can also click the top ad at http://pemft.info/buy.html

There are a lot of peer-reviewed, scientific articles here http://pemft.info/science.html many of them abstracts from the US National Institute of Health Library of Medicine and other respected sources.

If you need any help using it, I can tell you what works for me. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, cannot give medical advice, but can only relate my personal experiences with it.

Bobby

#55 - March 4, 2013, 9:34 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

DeanaMaye, I sent you an e-mail.

Newest developments.

My electronic drum set has a pair of agogo bells. I could not hear the tone of the high one, only the clunk of the attack. I can now hear the tone ring out!!! It isn't as loud as the low agogo bell, but it's the first time I've heard it since the allergic reaction took my high frequency hearing away years ago.

There are other things I notice too. The song of the cardinals (birds) have more chirp, a light switch that isn't a silent one goes click instead of clunk, I'm actually answering the phone now and speaking to people, and I watched an old rented movie that wasn't captioned and understood 90% of it. We thought it was subtitled when we rented it, but it was only subtitled in Spanish. Normally if we get one like that, I don't get 10 minutes into it before I'm frustrated and leave the room.

My mother-in-law continues to respond. She still has her good and bad days, but her good days are much better than they have been in over a year. Even people who don't know she is using the gizmo have remarked at how well she is doing. Her face and eyes are alive again, and she can even walk much better and much longer without her walker.

—— Some science ——

From The U.S. National Institute Of Health, Library of Medicine

Pulsed magnetic field therapy for osteoarthritis of the knee–a double-blind sham-controlled trial.

Nicolakis P, Kollmitzer J, Crevenna R, Bittner C, Erdogmus CB, Nicolakis J.

Source
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, AKH Wien, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria. {e-mail address removed by BobbyBoomer]

Abstract
BACKGROUND AND METHODS:

Pulsed magnetic field therapy is frequently used to treat the symptoms of osteoarthritis, although its efficacy has not been proven. We conducted a randomized, double-blind comparison of pulsed magnetic field and sham therapy in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee. Patients were assigned to receive 84 sessions, each with a duration of 30 minutes, of either pulsed magnetic field or sham treatment. Patients administered the treatment on their own at home, twice a day for six weeks.

RESULTS:
According to a sample size estimation, 36 consecutive patients were enrolled. 34 patients completed the study, two of whom had to be excluded from the statistical analysis, as they had not applied the PMF sufficiently. Thus, 15 verum and 17 sham-treated patients were enrolled in the statistical analysis. After six weeks of treatment the WOMAC Osteoarthritis Index was reduced in the pulsed magnetic field-group from 84.1 (+/- 45.1) to 49.7 (+/- 31.6), and from 73.7 (+/- 43.3) to 66.9 (+/- 52.9) in the sham-treated group (p = 0.03). The following secondary parameters improved in the pulsed magnetic field group more than they did in the sham group: gait speed at fast walking , stride length at fast walking , and acceleration time in the isokinetic dynamometry strength tests .

CONCLUSION:
In patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee, PMF treatment can reduce impairment in activities of daily life and improve knee function.

Comment in
Pulsed magnetic field therapy for osteoarthritis of the knee–a double-blind sham-controlled trial.

—— end of science abstract ——

Please pardon the multiple edits, I'm having a little trouble making the BBCode bold tag work - I have typos built into my fingers (I even have Type-O blood <grin/wink>)

Bobby

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2013-03-04 21:36:50 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2013-03-04 21:38:51 —

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2013-03-04 21:40:56 —

#56 - March 7, 2013, 11:18 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

I'm so excited!!!

Yesterday I heard the call of a Warbler (it's a small bird that passes through here on the way back ‘up north’). I haven't heard a warbler in years. My wife hears them but I can't. It wasn't very loud, and I was under the tree it was singing it, but I heard it!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for summer, maybe I can hear crickets again.

Bobby

#57 - March 29, 2013, 5:30 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

So Vicki or Deana, did you get a PEMFt device?

And if so, is it working for you?

My hearing is continuing to get better, my hands are pain free, my heel spurs are gone, and my vision is better although it seems to have leveled off. I'll get a new prescription this summer and see where it goes with a milder set of glasses.

Bobby

#58 - April 15, 2013, 11:39 a.m.
BobbyBoomer

Today I talked on the telephone without my hearing aids!!!

I understood the caller too!!!

Outstanding!!!

This really works!!!

(can you tell I'm excited?)

Little by little I'm getting better and better. The new gizmo is definitely not going back after the 90 day trial period ends.

I'll keep you posted on the progress as long as anyone is still interested.

Bobby

#59 - April 15, 2013, 12:15 p.m.

I am very grateful for Bobby's reports and enthusiasm.

He has inspired me to try one of the EarthPulse devices for a couple of months, as both I and my wife have sleep problems. I also have tinitus.

Alas, the EarthPulse didn't help either condition. I tried it off for a week or so just to make sure. But after about 10 weeks, neither I nor my wife have found any improvement.

Perhaps our problems are caused by what EarthPulse works on. I don't think it's snake oil (else I wouldn't have taken the trouble and expense to try it); and still don't. Just it hasn't worked for us.

#60 - April 15, 2013, 5:42 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

So sorry it didn't work for you Zarathrustra - one size doesn't fit all for anything. (see addition - next post)

I didn't notice anything for about a month myself, and that was at the clinic where the machines were much more powerful than the home units.

The “gizmo” I'm using now does give a 90 day trial period, so if it doesn't work, you can return it and get your money back. That's one great thing about this new device - no risk trial. But I do recommend that you try it for all 90 days. PEMFT is gradual and it might not seem to be working at first.

Here is how I use it for my ears (and it also helped my eyes): In recover mode, 10 minutes on the back of the skull and 15 minutes on each ear daily. I put a small pillow between my head and the coil so that it's comfortable for me. I also put it between a 4“ foam topper and my mattress overnight in the recover mode.

As you can tell from the posts, I've been doing this for a long time, and the healing wasn't immediate. Plus with the new ‘gizmo’ it seems to be gathering speed.

— — —

Some more detail on my last post - pardon the repetition but I'm really jazzed.

The long answer:

I usually let my wife answer the phone because I can't understand it very well. Even WITH my hearing aids in if someone doesn't speak loudly enough and with enough diction, I get lost (S, SH, F, TH, CH etc. sound the same, do does B, D, T, P, K and others like M and N). The consonants not only make the difference between similar words, but often define the borders between words. So someone talking English may as well be talking German or Dutch with an American accent for all I can make out.

In person I do a little lip reading assist. A ”B“ doesn't look like a ”D“ or a ”T" (and so on) but on the phone that doesn't work.

Today I got out of the shower, and my wife went in. The phone rang when she was in so I answered it. Fortunately the person spoke clearly and was loud enough. After hanging up the phone I realized I hadn't put my hearing aids in yet as I usually wait until my ear canals dry well. As soon as I realized that, I was overjoyed! I'm still excited.

Little by little I'm getting better, and I'm so thankful. I've invested a lot of time and some money into curing what medical science still says is not able to be cured. The peer reviewed abstracts I read at the U.S. National Institute of Health, Library of Congress website gave percentages of cures for various conditions and diseases and not many were 100%, but often 75% or more. Which is probably pretty similar to most drugs on the market.

I have some pages bookmarked and if anyone is interested you can e-mail me and I'll send them to you. I can also supply a link for the 90 day free trial.

I'm not a doctor, and I admit I tried this out of desperation. When the medical establishment says something is incurable, and you hear some alternative treatment might work, it's worth investigating. Which is what I did at the start of this thread. Thank you all for your help in that regard.

It took a while, and at one time I was thinking it wasn't working, but I stuck with it because what else could I do? The doctors say nothing will bring my hearing back. Some of the double-blind tests in Europe say that 75% of the people got their hearing back. I just hoped I'd be one of those.

So it takes about an hour out of my life every day. I use it for meditation and/or thinking about things. The eyes and the arthritis/bursitis relief made it at least not worthless, then the brain acuity improvement was noticed, and I just kept hoping the ears would follow.

With the first signs of improvement I tried not to fool myself and just think the hearing was improving. That would really set me up for a future disappointment. I don't watch regular TV but we do rent a movie from time to time - only if it is closed captioned or English subtitled. Lately I find myself relying on the captions a little less. Wishful thinking? I didn't know for sure. Chirping cardinals seem to have more ‘edge’ to their call and even the mockingbird seems to be more shrill.

But now I'm absolutely positive they are improving. Between hearing the warbler with my hearing aids in, and understanding a friend on the telephone without my hearing aids, I'm certain. This couldn't have happened last year.

It's been a long time as I started this in the summer of 2011 by going to the clinic for a month, but I'm glad I'm sticking to it. And I'm happy to pass the word on to others, as others have helped me.

The weather is getting warmer, and I'm waiting to see if I can hear crickets again. I haven't heard them in years. Wish me luck! (I'll let you know - I won't be able to contain myself).

In any case, I'll be using the ‘gizmo’ for a long time to come. It took two years to get this far, and I feel confident it will get even better.

Bobby

I'll review my personal notes and add another post.

— Last Edited by BobbyBoomer at 2013-04-17 08:45:53 —