Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Longevity

How To Live To Be 100: A Cardiologist Explains

By maggiemay at April 25, 2013, 1:47 p.m., 16226 hits

By Dr. Joel Kahn
April 24, 2013 2:48 PM EDT

Long ago, I was given the advice that if you want something in life badly enough, find people who've accomplished that goal and learn from them.

As a cardiologist deeply committed to teaching strategies for longevity and vitality, I've studied the lifestyles of communities whose members frequently reach age 100 and beyond. (I've been particularly interested in centenarians who are still active and independent.) The current thinking is that lifespan is determined by 10% genetic makeup and 90% lifestyle (with some good luck thrown in).

So: What can we learn from the lifestyles of the ultra-elderly?

The most widely-known research on this topic has been done by Dan Buettner, a reporter and author, and has been published in several editions of a book called The Blue Zones. Working with National Geographic, Buettner researched and then visited communities where people who have lived the longest reside. He highlighted disperse areas (dubbed “The Blue Zones”) where people live to be 100 at rates 10 times greater than in the United States. They are: (1) Okinawa, Japan; (2) Loma Linda, California; (3) Sardinia, Italy; (4) Nicoya, Costa Rica; and (5) Ikaria, Greece.

Common patterns were found among these 5 zones of excess centenarians, even though they are far from one another. These include:

An absence of smoking
Daily physical activity centered on walking
A plant-heavy diet with very small amounts of animal protein
Strong family connections, and strong social connections.
Processed foods, fast foods, junk foods…? Forget about it!

Different areas had unique health habits. In Loma Linda, for example, where the Seventh Day Adventist Church is based, it's common to honor the Sabbath as a day of disconnecting from technology and visiting friends and family. Vegetarianism is a celebrated lifestyle, and eating nuts is common. Drinking alcohol is rare.

In Okinawa, it's taught that you should eat until you are 80% full, and the average daily food intake there is hundreds of calories less than in other parts of Japan. Sardinians are known for their cannonau wine reinforced with as much as three times the polyphenols like resveratrol than other regions growing red wine and consume a high amount of fava beans.

Costa Ricans consume many oranges and their water is hard and rich in minerals. Ikarians eat a classic Mediterranean diet rich in home grown vegetables. They enjoy herbal teas daily, and fast frequently. Another reason for their longevity and heart health? Recently boiled Greek coffee, which is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols.

Are there lessons we can incorporate into our lives drawn from 5 corners of the world where people age more consistently, more gracefully, and with more vitality? Buettner and others have summarized lessons to adopt including:

Play daily
Walk often
Move naturally in work (for example doing yard work manually instead of using mechanical devices)
Live with a purpose (for helping others)
Find ways to reduce stress through rest, prayer, and/or humor
Eat less
Eat fewer animal products and use legumes as the core of a fiber rich diet
Drink in moderation if it's acceptable to you
Let faith have a role in your life
Emphasize family and loving relationships
Have social networks

The resident scholar of longevity in the United States, George Burns, was asked about his formula for living over 100.

His response?

“If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn’t ask me, I’d still have to say it.”

Yoga is an ancient practice for reducing stress and anxiety so I wish you Namaste.

Dr. Kahn is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at Wayne State University School of Medicine and Medical Director of Preventive Cardiology at the Detroit Medical Center. He is a graduate Summa Cum Laude of the University of Michigan School of Medicine. He lectures widely on the cardiac benefits of vegan nutrition and mind body practices.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9028/how-to-live-to-be-100-a-cardiologist-explains.html

— Last Edited by Greentea at 2013-04-25 08:33:12 —

Posts [ 1 ] | Last post April 25, 2013, 1:47 p.m.
#1 - April 25, 2013, 1:47 p.m.
NanoDoc

Hello Dr. Kahn, Wonderful advice from a myriad of sources. But there are some things that can be done in addition to those mentioned. The lifelong accumulation of cellular toxicity and the deposition of calcified plaque in our arteries slowly causes apoptosis, tissue atrophy and organ dysfunction…….ultimately leading to our demise and 65% of us historically will succumb to coronary artery disease and a ruptured vulnerable plaque that's not consistent with ongoing life. Our research has shown that tissue and organ-system health can be structurally improved with the use of NanobacTX…..published clinical trials by cardiologists have validated our research that we are eradicating CAD plaque…..calcified and B-amyloid components as well. So, although all that you say is true…..the situation is not as bleak as you portend. If we are able to improve the vascular tree, head-to-toe, then MACE and other vascular events like MI, CABG and PCI can be avoided altogether……..and patients can live a vibrant and youthful life to 100 and beyond……