Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Dietary Supplementation

CoQ10-- Decreases Inflammation in CAD Patients

By cmeletis at Jan. 19, 2014, 8:36 p.m., 16201 hits

Coenzyme Q10 Decreases Inflammation in Subjects with Coronary Artery Disease

In a study published in November 2013, researchers reported that coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) reduces inflammation in individuals with coronary heart disease currently taking statin medication. Coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease, resulting in 385,000 deaths annually. Approximately one in four Americans age 45 years or older are taking a statin to reduce bad cholesterol. Statins can also reduce the biosynthesis of coenzyme Q10.

The subjects included 51 individuals with at least 50 percent stenosis of one major coronary artery, as identified by cardiac catheterization, and receiving treatment with a statin for at least one month. The subjects received 300 mg CoQ10 daily or a placebo for 12 weeks.

At the beginning of the study and again after the intervention period, the researchers measured levels of CoQ10, vitamin E and antioxidant enzyme activities including superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase. The investigators also assessed inflammatory markers including C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and interleukin-6.

The researchers found that plasma CoQ10 levels and antioxidant enzyme activity were significantly higher and inflammatory markers were significantly lower after CoQ10 supplementation. The investigators showed that the CoQ10 group had significantly higher vitamin E levels and antioxidant enzyme activity compared to the placebo group.

Additionally, the researchers determined that in the CoQ10 group, CoQ10 was correlated with vitamin E levels and antioxidant enzyme activity and was negatively correlated with TNF-alpha and interleukin-6. This means that as CoQ10 increased, the inflammatory markers TNF-alpha and interleukin-6 decreased.

The study authors concluded, “Coenzyme Q10 supplementation at 300 mg/day significantly enhances antioxidant enzymes activities and lowers inflammation in patients who have coronary artery disease during statins therapy.”

Reference:
Lee BJ, et al. Nutr J. 2013 Nov 6;12(1):142.

Posts [ 2 ] | Last post Jan. 19, 2014, 8:36 p.m.
#1 - Jan. 19, 2014, 8:36 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

I have had those canker sores for as long as I can remember. I also have periodontal disease which I'm beating.

300mg per day of CoQ10 (ubiquinol variety) along with olive leaf extract and daily flossing have not only stopped the periodontal disease in it's tracks, it has cured the canker sores.

So it seems it's not only CAD inflammation that it helps. Of course this is one observatory and not a double-blind controlled experiment.

Bobby

#2 - Jan. 19, 2014, 8:36 p.m.
BobbyBoomer

I have had those canker sores for as long as I can remember. I also have periodontal disease which I'm beating.

300mg per day of CoQ10 (ubiquinol variety) along with olive leaf extract and daily flossing have not only stopped the periodontal disease in it's tracks, it has cured the canker sores.

So it seems it's not only CAD inflammation that it helps. Of course this is one observatory and not a double-blind controlled experiment.

Bobby