Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Industry & Business

Saliva Testing

By AllenSmolenskiMD at Dec. 27, 2010, 1:05 p.m., 25554 hits

I find that most physicians use serum testing to monitor topically applied hormones like testosterone, estrogens and progesterone. This results in very large doses being used such as 200 mg testosterone gel daily etc. Saliva testing shows these patients are all being overdosed. Unfortunately there isn't much research out there on this. Please post articles and links that support the use of saliva testing for monitoring and dosing topical hormones.

Posts [ 2 ] | Last post Dec. 27, 2010, 1:05 p.m.
#1 - Dec. 14, 2010, 12:17 p.m.

There is information available on this topic, saliva vs. serum or dried blood spot vs. serum, on ZRT Laboratory's website.

Dr. David Zava has also blogged on this topic; you can access his blogs from ZRT's website. He also lectures to this in the Fellowship Module I.

#2 - Dec. 27, 2010, 1:05 p.m.
The Blend Institute

I find saliva and serum testing two completely different tests once HRT has started in a patient.
The saliva testing clearly overestimates and allows us to use the smallest most effective dose.
Saliva testing seems to be more sensitive for topically applied estrrogens and progesterone along with cortisols and testosterone when applied at low dosing.
Serum testing seems to be more user friendly in men on injectable or hi dose testosterone or when monitoring DHT and E2
Hence I do more saliva testing in women and for all cortisols and more serum testing of hormones in men.
Anyone else with a similar experience