Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Allergy and Intolerances

Allergy Facts

By Erich at Feb. 7, 2015, 11:23 p.m., 25286 hits

Allergy facts

* Allergy involves an exaggerated response of the immune system.

* The immune system is the body's organized defense mechanism against foreign invaders, particularly infections.

* Allergens are substances that are foreign to the body and can cause an allergic reaction.

* IgE is the allergy antibody.

* Allergies can develop at any age.

* Your risk of developing allergies is related to your parents' allergy history.

Introduction

In this review you will learn how allergy relates to the immune system. You will begin understanding how and why certain people become allergic. The most common allergic diseases are discussed briefly in this article.

What does an allergy mean?

An allergy refers to an exaggerated reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. It is exaggerated because these foreign substances are usually seen by the body as harmless and no response occurs in non- allergic people. Allergic people's bodies recognize the foreign substance and one part of the immune system is turned on. Allergy-producing substances are called “allergens.” Examples of allergens include pollens, dust mite, molds, danders, and foods. To understand the language of allergy it is important to remember that allergens are substances that are foreign to the body and can cause an allergic reaction in certain people.

When an allergen comes in contact with the body, it causes the immune system to develop an allergic reaction in persons who are allergic to it. When you inappropriately react to allergens that are normally harmless to other people, you are having an allergic reaction and can be referred to as allergic or atopic. Therefore, people who are prone to allergies are said to be allergic or “atopic.”

Austrian pediatrician Clemens Pirquet (1874-1929) first used the term allergy. He referred to both immunity that was beneficial and to the harmful hypersensitivity as “allergy.” The word allergy is derived from the Greek words “allos,” meaning different or changed and “ergos,” meaning work or action. Allergy roughly refers to an “altered reaction.” The word allergy was first used in 1905 to describe the adverse reactions of children who were given repeated shots of horse serum to fight infection. The following year, the term allergy was proposed to explain this unexpected “changed reactivity.”

Allergy Fact

* It is estimated that 50 million North Americans are affected by allergic conditions.
* The cost of allergies in the United States is more than $10 billion dollars yearly.
* Allergic rhinitis (nasal allergies) affects about 35 million Americans, 6 million of whom are children.
* Asthma affects 15 million Americans, 5 million of whom are children.
* The number of cases of asthma has doubled over the last 20 years.

Posts [ 4 ] | Last post Feb. 7, 2015, 11:23 p.m.
#1 - June 21, 2013, 6 a.m.

Information on allergies such as pollen dust mite and animal from Weather Bug seasonal weather, health and wellness . One in four of us will develop an allergy at some point in our lives . An allergy is when the body has an abnormal reaction to an everyday substance .

cheap blackberrys

— Last Edited by JonSon at 2013-06-21 06:00:32 —

#2 - June 22, 2013, 4:50 a.m.

Fare works on behalf of the 15 million Americans with food allergies including all those at risk for life-threatening anaphylaxis . Expert advice and tips on coping with seasonal allergies and allergy relief .

kviklån

— Last Edited by spotlaan at 2013-06-22 04:50:27 —

#3 - March 22, 2014, 2:10 a.m.
admasonscottish

We provide health caring and patient-oriented Ent Partners Of Texas, ent Irving, Irving Coppell Ent and Irving ent.

#4 - Feb. 7, 2015, 11:23 p.m.
Jarie

Great explanation. I am an allergic person. I've had allergic rhinitis for as long as I can remember. I was prescribed with nasal steroids and told I had to use it everyday. But I don't, I only use it when I know I may have contact with allergens. I'm still not aware of all the allergens I might react to, as far as I know it's just dust, pungent odors, and the cold weather.

Is cold weather even an allergen? Because I have runny nose and never ending sneezes when it's cold.

— Last Edited by Jarie at 2015-02-07 23:24:48 —