Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Energy Medicine

What's Cramping Your Style?

By sswartz at July 16, 2016, 8:44 p.m., 12851 hits

George wrote me last week that he was having a lot of trouble sleeping. It seemed that leg and hand cramps were causing him a lot of problems. “Dear Dr. Wu, I been having cramps in my hands and feet for the last few months and they seem to be escalating. I changed my diet, increased the vitamins, I have been taking a close look at what I may have changed in my lifestyle. What I noticed is I have been working outside doing more gardening in the hot sun. It’s more than I have been for a few years, but I never got cramps from that. What do you think I can do about it?”

Here is my reply:

“George, there are a few reasons for cramps. It could be that you are overusing your muscles, or dehydration, muscle strain, or simply holding a position for a prolonged period. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known for sure. Although most muscle cramps are harmless, some may be related to an underlying medical condition like narrowing of the arteries that deliver blood to your legs, compression of nerves in your spine (lumbar stenosis), lacking of minerals such as potassium, calcium, or magnesium in your diet.

When I am seeing a patient who displays symptoms like you have, I start thinking about the tendons and their flexibility and agility. Are you practicing Qi Gong? How many days a week? I’d suggest you start practicing daily. This will help or completely eliminate the problem. http://rechargingqigong.com/flying-crane-qi-gong.html

If you come to my office, I’ll most likely start looking at a lot of specific things like some coldness or dampness in your body, or maybe it can be coming from blood or Qi deficiency. In that case, acupuncture and moxibustion can effectively suppress hyperactive muscles. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), leg cramps are mainly due to coldness stimulation as well as improper blood and Qi activities of the legs. Acupuncture can play a role to promote circulation, loosen the tendons, alleviate cramps, and ease pain.

But before you flip out, get a copy of The Flying Crane Qigong http://rechargingqigong.com/flying-crane-qi-gong.html and start practicing. Within a few weeks, you should be able to get a good night’s sleep and kick those cramps out of your body forever.”

I wish you the best in your Health, Wealth and Happiness.

Dr. Wu Dhi

No Reply